24.4.10

what it's like...

to do this. this portugal thing.

1) sometimes, you force yourself to stay.
2) surfthechannel.com
3) conversations about fast food become really fun!
4) you become the neighborhood quandary.
5) people really like to help you. and eventually you learn to be helped.
6) you adopt strange music interests.
7) often, you say goodbye. lately it's been once a month.
8) you develop a healthy mistrust of hairdressers
9) boots in april/may seem perfectly normal.
10) you adopt a rolly, grocery bag thingy. mine's name is edith, she sports brown plaid.
11) you forget that the beach isn't a daily thing for most people.
12) if you are a girl and exercise, you are the anomaly in the park.
13) before bed, you place your cell phone and vonage phone within reach.
14) making life decisions seems ten times more difficult from here.
15) even "hi, carrie, bye!" from the nephews is priceless.
16) 55 cent coffee, 20 cent bread, 30 cent cookies
17) trying 50 types of yogurt in a year is sooooo fun!
18) your feet become strangely accustomed to jagged rocks underfoot.
19) that smell...oh, that's just the garlic seeping through their skin. ewwwww.
20) every month you stick it out, so incredibly worth it!

3 comments:

Claire@MyDevising said...

I like reading that list :) I can't wait to be able to see you again!

Miss Abby said...

so wonderful, my dear friend : ) I am filled with joy when I think of how far you have been stretched these past two years! You rock, mon petite chou-chou ; )

Mirela said...

I'm glad you've learned #5... Can you give some examples of 6? I'm sorry about 7, it is no fun but totally understand 8, I have a friend who's a pro and is the only one I trust in the whole country. Let me know if you want to see her before you come back. ;) #9 gets even cooler when you think of the stiletto heels on cobblestones... in april. :) Enjoy 11, 16 and 17 to the max... those are priceless joys of living in Portugal. 20 makes me happy! Happy that you've made it there until now and guess what... it's almost time to be back! You're getting closer to enjoy 15 "live"! Thinking of you!