18.1.12

long-ending Layla...

I've not always been a girl who likes surprises, but there is one type of surprise I particularly enjoy: being surprised by beauty. Washes over you, silences your throat, harnesses your gaze, plants your feet--the surprise of beauty, indiscriminate and equal-opportunity.

Last fall I was caught in the middle of the mundane. The quotidian rhythm that seldom allows inspiration, revival, or even a depth-filled sigh. I inched my car into its space, following an early morning of class that was likely preceded by a late night of studying. Then it fell: surprise.

Having been listening to Derek & the Dominos' "Layla," I was hushed by the instrumental ending. I had never heard it before: perhaps the hustle of American life requires radio edits, or what is worse, perhaps my own lifestyle reflects a "failure to yield."

As the warm light enveloped my cheeks, I surrendered to stationary-living long enough to invite the music to dispel its magic. With tears fumbling carelessly to the surface, Layla soothed my heartbeat with an effortless tune. She dances a whirl of grace and ease. She embraces time without stressing the where, or even when, she closes her spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th3ycKQV_4k

No comments: