15.8.08

honesty


Something about late nights and melancholy continually abandons me in my bed with an unanswerable question: is life empty? I know all the typical solutions, including religious fulfillment, sacrifice for others, simple pleasures, etc. But what about that loneliness that gnaws on the silences that are unavoidable late at night, when we are too tired to fight off this haunting question of humanity? What will happen when I awake years from now and realize that, after faith, family, memories, joys, sorrows, journeys, and strangers, I am still empty? I assume it is the nature of being human to never be satisfied with failure or success. And contact with deity, though sufficient to bring hope, purpose, and healing, is faithful to leave me unsatisfied with bones and spirit.

2 comments:

Miss Abby said...

i love you, my sweet Carolina...such beautiful thoughts...as one wise mentor (whom you probably know as well ; )once told me, "keep searching for your spirituality" and you will find the peace which passes all understanding : )

Sarah said...

you should have been a poet. i mean, you can still be one. i'm talking about for life. i guess what i'm trying to say is simply that you express life so meaningfully and beautifully in words.