2.3.10

when in doubt, laugh...

so this is the secret to surviving in a foreign country...well, at least it's my secret, anyway. I wish I could express how many times a week I am confused about what exactly someone has just said to me. but rather than ask each and every time for them to repeat things, I have learned that a giggle and a smile go a long way. now, I realize this does get me into trouble on occasion. but seriously, it is a wayyyy better alternative! that way, they think I think they are funny, I can pretend I heard whatever I want, and it makes for great laughs later on (when I actually realize what they said!).

case in point: at our cafe downstairs, the owner asked my roommate and I if we were the daughters of a 27 yr. old English taxi cab driver that he knows. in confusion, we just laughed and walked out of the cafe. later on, I realized what he had said...what was I to say?! "why yes, my father did in fact give our mother conception when he was 4!" nope, no response necessary (except laughter). so the cafe staff thinks Lindsey and I are sisters, English, and biological freaks. ehhhhh, oh well :)

2 comments:

Miss Abby said...

Bahaha!! Oh Carolina, that is too funny! I'm glad that you find ways to laugh amidst the confusion (and awkward moments : )

love you!

Sara said...

Oh that's a good one carolina! I'm glad you're able to find joy in that. I think it's just lovely!

love you lady.