21.3.10

who I've become...

is yet to be determined, I suppose. My time abroad has shaped and transformed me...but as of yet, I can't determine exactly how. So here are some indications, and one day I'll know what they mean.

-I've spent an incredible amount of time alone. Time on public transport, out in public, in cafes, etc. Time simply observing, thinking (way too much at times), reading, running, walking, listening to music, writing, drawing. But all on my own. My solitude has become incredibly personal and dear to me.

-You know that instinct where you want to tell someone something, anything? Well I hardly have that anymore. There are few things that necessitate my needing to converse about them, at least not immediately. Admittedly, this has gotten me into trouble...because sometimes I forget that my friends need me to ask, to be more engaged.

-I spend the greater part of each day outdoors or in the public sphere. I've begun to wonder how exactly I will be able to adjust to living indoors again. Most likely I am going to need a running buddy or a good gym to work off the stress from too much time indoors. I am certainly going to miss those quiet reprieves I enjoy multiple times a day in parks, next to the ocean, etc.

-I've observed so many different people, taken in all of their stories and faces. I don't exactly know what to do with those now...it feels like the strangers have become as dear as my sweet friends here. And I can't figure out how to "place" those in my mind, in my future, in my memories.

-Doing everything in another language is so enjoyable for me. It makes each day more challenging, but more rewarding also. When I was home at Christmas, my mind felt so disengaged. I didn't have to work for anything, at least verbally. And I held no mystery in another tongue...I am just another U.S. American who speaks English.

-After two years away, I would be naïve to think my friendships had not changed at home. I'm just beginning to understand this one, but I know it will have more weight when I return. My friendships here are coming to their fruition, and I have yet to know what their continuance will look like. My friendships, the genuinely close ones, are still in tact in the States. It will look different though; we are all on such vastly different pages of life. I hope there is room for me in your lives again. And I hope to meet some new friends also; perhaps it would aid me to start at square one with someone.

-Dating relationships are not appealing to me right now. At all. Especially after this last year, I need some time to heal and be renewed. One thing I know: things will be different next time, they must be. No more wasting time on the ones who don't know themselves, let alone what they want.

-There are not sufficient means to express my gratitude for the time I have been given in Lisbon. These years have been filled with personal growth, exploration, challenges, and beautiful things. I feel so fortunate every time I ride that train by the sea, every time I meet friends for coffee, every time I am surprised by beauty. These months will provide me with years of sweet memories.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

i like this a lot. :) ....especially the second-to-last.

Sara said...

I love it. I just love it. What a beautiful journey you have been on. I can't wait for you to come "home" and be able to share in life and new adventures with you again. Your life consistently challenges me Carolina. You are so much of what I desire to be. Your gentle and quiet nature is so different from myself and is something I have come to love most in you. You teach me the discipline of being still. You are my joy little lady. See you soon! Love you.

Claire said...

So wonderful, Caroline. I know we haven't kept up nearly as much as I would have wanted, but I certainly can't wait to see you again. You are inspiring. Love you.

Miss Abby said...

All so very true, my sweet Carolina. Insightful and thoughtful. I am proud of you, my friend. So many times over the past two years have I wondered what you were doing, feeling, seeing. I know every second of time you have spent there has been another integral stitch in the magnificent patchwork that God is creating through your life : ) He has taken you through every step of this overseas adventure/journey, and He will continue to be faithful to you on your upcoming new American adventure/journey! A familiar place, maybe, but a new place in life for God to create something beautiful : )

love you, dear friend.

Mirela said...

Caroline, this is beautiful. I'm so happy to see that you are happy where you are. Your future will be good and for now that might be the only thing you need to know.
The memories will always exist. The smells, the people, the ocean, the pictures, the stories, everything will remain in you... in who you are becoming. Sometimes you will struggle between who you were and who you are going to be, but it's okay. Portugal will always be present in your life because you would not be who you are today if you had not moved there. And I mean, the good and the not so good. My heart is happy for you. Reading your blog makes me want to sit and have a "meia de leite com croissant" with you and just hear your thoughts. Or hear the noise of cafes, streetcars, watch people walk on by, hear the ocean, watch the sunset and just...... be. Enjoy your time in Lisboa. Tenho saudades!